Words are flowing out like endless rain into a paper cup...



I'm not a huge Julie Taymore fan. I loved her production of The Lion King on Broadway, thought Titus was messy and Frida was dull. However they all showcased her amazing gift for visuals and spectacle. Now the trailer for Taymore's new project is online. Across the Universe is a musical that spans the cultural changes of the 60s and tells its story through Beatles songs. The film looks like it could either end up being a gigantic messy faliure or a truly visionary and brilliant film. Either way I'm excited. Beatles purists may complain about the classics being covered, but, honestly, they can go fuck themselves. I love the Beatles and even I can open myself up to new interpretations.

The film looks fantastically hokey (the main character's name is Jude) and, again, that scares me but all I have to do is think of Moulin Rouge! and how that film skillfully manipulated well-worn cliches to spin something truly original. Granted Taymore is no Baz Luhrmann, and I'd rather not go into this comparing it with that 2001 masterpiece but after two so-so efforts, Taymore's due for a(n artistic) hit. Here's hoping I won't be disappointed.

Watch the trailer here.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...