Show Your Bones, the Yeah Yeah Yeah's follow-up to 2003's Fever to Tell is at once bitter, romantic, sweet, harsh, perfect and imperfect. The band returns with a cleaner sound than before but the musical direction goes in the other direction with Karen O & Co opting to tackle bitterness and breakups after tackling love (in their own, slightly twisted, way) in their debut LP. Even though the songs seem harder on the surface there are little flourishes of sweetness and softness, like the acoustic guitar that opens the lead single 'Gold Lion', that add a certain sweetness to the record. It's still a little early for me to be clear on how I feel about the record, but, so far I'm loving it. And isn't 'Phenomena' some kind of perfect?

Also, this album is all kinds of awesome:


The Pulitzer Prize winners were announced- March looks slightly intriguing but the American Civil War usually bores me?

I'm currently reading Capote's In Cold Blood, which is proving to be Excellent. Of Capote's other works I've only read Breakfast at Tiffany's, which I loved, does anyone know if Music for Chameleons is worth getting? Also I'm planning on reading The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky but I'm a little scared, should I be? Reading Ulysses made me feel so inferior that I stopped reading and put it away in order to read it after I turn 30- I know I should read it and I was genuinely excited to, but I felt like I was in over my head. Also bought The Shipping News after Mahangu said it was a MUST read (Incidentally, I also read Brokeback Mountain and I agreed with what you said about Jack).

I've been a little out of it cos I just got back from India, which was great- I had no idea that Bombay was such a beautiful city- and school starts tomorrow. It'll be my last 9 days of school, which still hasn't really sunk in yet but I suppose that's because I have a fucker of an exam coming in June.

Look out for the Pfeiffer blog-a-thon that begins on the 28th in order to celebrate God's gift to cinema on her 48th (or is that 49th?) birthday...and while we're talking film, I finally saw Mommie Dearest the other day-LOL "No wire hangers EVER!!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...