Emmywatch Part II



So I didn't do too well on my predictions scoring 3/10 and also picking Mullally as the dark horse, but then again no one really did well. That aside, the night was pretty mixed up- I LOVE the wins for 24, The Office, Keifer Sutherland (finally!), Jeremy Piven and My Name is Earl but the rest is a mixed bag. I'm alright with Julia Louis-Dreyfus' win because she's one of my all time favourite TV stars and I'm thrilled that she's finally broken the Post-Seinfeld curse, even if Old Christine is a little generic. Same for Megan Mullally: she totally didn't deserve it, especially over the competition, but I always felt she should've gotten more than 1 emmy for Will and Grace. The Sopranos continuing it's stronghold on Writing for a Drama Series was a treat since, despite a weak season, 'Members Only' was a great episode. As for the rest? It's all varying shades of mediocrity...Tony Shaloub? Are you fucking kidding me, how can a performance this dull and unpopular win THREE emmys!? I'm ok with the wins for Alda and Hargitay since they're both good on their shows but the wins feel so dull and lifeless. Ditto for Blythe Danner winning back to back Emmys for the underseen Huff (which is playing on HBO right now-check it out)- she's good but didn't really stand out this year. Also, Stephen Colbert, Hugh Jackman and Letterman losing to Barry fucking Manilow- give me a fucking break.

I am now officially excited to see the HBO mini-series Elizabeth I with the always brilliant Helen Mirren and Jeremy Irons, which airs on Hallmark next month. The film picked up four Emmys including Best Mini-Series, Best Actress in TV Film and Supporting Actor in a TV film. I'm ok with the win for The Amazing Race but it's getting ridiculous that neither American Idol or Project Runway have won yet. I am thrilled that My Name is Earl got it's just desserts after the cruel snub in the series category by doing a Malcolm and winning both Directing and Writing for a Comedy for the brilliant Pilot episode. I was worried for a minute there that The Office would not prevail but I'm overjoyed that it managed to snag the Emmy. As for 24, well, it's been a long time coming. Very very pleased at it's wins, especially for a season that rivals the first as the best the show's produced: Easily the best moment of the whole ceremony.

And fuck yeah on the Piv's win. "Let's hug it out bitch!"

Full list of winners here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...