A Love Letter to Michelle



I realised this morning, through runny-nosed sickness that nowhere on my blog had I spoken of my love for all things Pfeiffer. There are few actresses who I can get excited about like I can for my sweet Michelle. My first exposure to her was through my love for Batman and her stunning performance in Batman Returns (this may seem a little late in her filmography to become a fan but I was like 4, ok) and since then, I have been a die-hard fan. The stunning beauty, the natural glow, the ice queen persona, and, of course, the wonderful talent have had me smitten for most of my life and, now, at 49 she still looks so damn good. The most frustrating things about Pfeiffer are a) her self-imposed retirement (hopefully this year's I Could Never Be Your Woman changes all that) and b) her knack for turning down Great scripts. This is a woman who has turned down films like The Silence of the Lambs, Thelma and Louise, The Door in the Floor, Evita, Lorenzo's Oil, and to a lesser extent, Basic Instinct, Sleepless in Seattle, The Bonfire of the Vanities, and most recently, Narnia. That, however, is not to take away from the great gifts she has given to the world of cinema.
My favourite Pfeiffer performances would have to be:
  1. The Fabulous Baker Boys (you know that Oscar was hers)
  2. Batman Returns
  3. The Age of Innocence (Scorsese + Pfeiffer + Day-Lewis = Heaven)
  4. White Oleander
  5. Scarface
  6. Dangerous Liaisons
  7. Married to the Mob
  8. The Russia House
  9. Frankie and Johnny
  10. What Lies Beneath

If you haven't seen any of the above-mentioned films, go out and get them now. right now. go on. now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...